The Best Names For Your Cat In 2022
Picking a name for the newest member of your family can be a tall order. Not only will this be the name that your cat will go by for the rest of their life, but what you name your cat can say a lot about you.
Sure, a black and white cat is perfect for the name Oreo, but your friends might think you’re unoriginal. Likewise, naming your black cat Behemoth as a reference to the literary work The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov is a little… pretentious.
So how do you pick the best name for your cat? While we might not know your new feline friend, we do have a few good places to jump off from.
2021’s Top Cat Names
At the end of last year, Rover compiled a list of the top cat names across the nation. While cat parents who value uniqueness might find these names a little too mainstream for their liking, they offer plenty of good ideas for traditional cat names.
Top 10 Most Popular Cat Names Overall
Top 10 Most Popular Cat Names For Girls
Top 10 Most Popular Cat Names for Boys
Other Areas of Inspiration
The most popular cat names offer some great insight into what makes a cat name popular. Many of these names are short and cute. But if you’re looking for a more personal cat name, here are some other ideas of where to start:
- Pop culture (Daenerys, Kiki, Simba, Totoro, Hermione, Percy)
- Plants (Daisy, Lily, Fern, Moss, Maple, Basil)
- Space (Venus, Saturn, Pluto, Mars, Cassiopeia, Polaris)
- Geology (Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond, Granite, Peridot)
- Everyday objects (Sock, Dish, Basket, Pen, Pillow)
- Food (Eggo, Toast, Cinnamon, Sage, Boba, Mocha)
- Actors (Robert, Tom, Saoirse, Florence, Keanu, Winona)
- Locations (Vienna, Berlin, Austen, Boston, Bristol, Melbourne)
- Greek Myth (Achilles, Leda, Helen, Circe, Orpheus, Hades)
- Norse Myth (Mani, Balder, Freya, Siv, Nott, Elli)
- Video Games (Peach, Cortana, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Sora)
And that’s just to start!
Remember that at the end of the day, you’re not looking to impress anyone or win a contest based on what you named your cat. Instead, you’re looking for a name for a companion who will be your everything for the next many years to come.